Cyprus Traditions - Red Eggs for the Greek Orthodox Easter Celebrations
The Greek Orthodox Tradition of Dyeing Eggs Red For the Easter Celebrations
Greek Orthodox Easter Celebrations would not be complete without the traditional Red Eggs.
Why do Greek Cypriots dye their eggs red for the Greek Orthodox Easter Celebrations?
As part of the Traditional Easter Celebrations eggs are dyed red. The reason why Greek Cypriots dye their eggs red is simple – the eggs are a reminder of Christ’s resurrection.
Dyeing the eggs red symbolizes Christ’s blood and the egg itself is a reminder of His tomb
What do you need to dye Red Eggs for the Greek Orthodox Easter Celebrations?
- 20 Eggs
- A large pan of boiling water
- 2 tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar
- Red Egg Dye (food colouring)
- Plastic gloves to stop your hands turning red as well
How to dye Red Eggs for the Greek Orthodox Easter Celebrations
- Mix the vinegar and red dye together in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Place the eggs in the boiling water and cook for 12-15 minutes until hard boiled
- Remove the eggs from the water and place on a rack/tray to dry.
- Once dry rub them with Olive Oil to make them shiny
Cracking the eggs
When the egg is cracked, it represents the resurrection of Christ.
As families gather together for the celebration they participate in the tradition of selecting an egg then tapping it against another to see which one will crack first
Which Cyprus Rotiss...
Thinking of buying a Cyprus Rotisserie BBQ? The Cyprus BBQ is perfect for family gatherings, an afternoon with friends in the park or for any celeb...Read More
Get Ready for Sprin...
All the equipment you need to make the perfect Cypriot Souvla. As Spring and Summer approach, and surely welcomed by us all, ensure you have the ri...Read More
Kalo Pascha! (Happy...
Kalo Pascha! (Happy Easter!) The weather is becoming increasingly brighter and better, and as the sun comes out so do our BBQs! With Easter quickly...Read More