Souvla is a hugely popular Cypriot dish it is perfect for any family occasion party, or even as an alternative for your Sunday Lunch #sundaysouvla.
This recipe is very simple consisting of large pieces of marinated lamb shoulder on the bone cooked slowly and perfectly on a souvla skewer (spit) over white-hot charcoal.
The bbq motor slowly rotates the Souvla skewers allowing the meat to cook slowly and evenly resulting in that delicious Cyprus BBQ flavour. For the best results try this recipe out on our Authentic Traditional Rotisserie Cyprus Barbecue Sets.
You can also cook pork, chicken wings or a whole chicken souvla but we will show you how to do chicken in another one of our delicious Cyprus recipes.
Preparation time 20-30 minutes (plus 3-4 hours to marinade)
- Large pieces of good quality lamb shoulder on the bone ( these should be about the size of your fist, ask your butcher if you are unsure how to cut it)
- Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil - enough to lightly coat all of the meat.
- Greek Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the Lamb into a mixing bowl and pour over the other ingredients, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a sprinkling of Oregano.
- Cover and leave to marinade for about 3-4 hours
- The meat is now ready to put onto the Skewer- take great care when doing this as it can take some force to go through both the meat and bone.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Put the skewers about 12 inches above the white-hot coals and leave to rotate on the rotisserie until cooked to your desired taste (1-2 hours) whilst it is cooking you are free socialise with your family and friends
- For that authentic Cyprus Flavour serve with a squeeze of lemon.
- Ideal with Pita bread and our delicious Greek Salad and Houmous
- When adding the meat to the skewer it may be safer to start by placing the meat onto a clean surface and then push the tip of the skewer through the meat and bone. Once you have done this the meat can then be safely moved along the souvla skewer.
- When cooking the souvla on our Authentic Traditional Rotisserie Cyprus Barbecue Sets. you can raise or lower the skewers to control the cooking time
- Make sure you start with enough charcoal to last for the whole cooking time