A motor slowly rotates the skewers allowing the meat to cook evenly for that delicious Cyprus BBQ flavour. For great results try with one of our Authentic Traditional Rotisserie Cyprus Barbecue Sets.
You can also cook lamb, pork or a whole chicken souvla but we will show you how to do these in another one of our delicious Cyprus recipes.
Preparation time 20-30 minutes (plus a 2-3 hours to marinade)
- Large pieces of good quality chicken on the bone with the skin still on ( these should be equal sizes about the size of your fist, if you are unsure how to cut it ask your butcher)
- Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil - enough to lightly coat all of the meat.
- Greek Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the chicken into a mixing bowl and cover with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a sprinkling of Oregano.
- Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for 2-3 hours
- The meat is now ready to go onto the Skewer- take great care when doing this as it can take some force to pierce through the meat and bone.
- Apply Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the skewers about 12 inches above white-hot coals and leave to rotate on the rotisserie until cooked (1-2 hours) whilst you socialise with your family and friends
- Sprinkle occassionally with a Cyprus pinch of salt for perfectly crispy skin
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon for that authentic Cyprus Flavour. Ideal with Pita bread and our delicious Greek Salad and Houmous
- If the chicken starts to spin round on the skewer either use Spit Forks or bamboo skewers/coctail sticks presoaked in water to pin them in place
- When cooking the souvla on our Authentic Traditional Rotisserie Cyprus Barbecue Sets. your can raise or lower the skewers to control the cooking time
- Make sure you start with enough charcoal to last for the whole cooking time and all of the meat on the skewer is diectly above the charcoal.