Pork Souvla Cooked over Charcoal on a Cyprus Rotisserie BBQ
Souvla is a hugely popular Cypriot dish ideal for any party, family occasion or even as an alternative for your Sunday Lunch #sundaysouvla.
This is a very simple and easy recipe consisting of large pieces of marinated pork shoulder on the bone cooked slowly and perfectly on a spit (souvla skewer) over white hot charcoal . A motor slowly rotates the skewers allowing the meat to cook evenly for that delicious Cyprus BBQ flavour. For great results try with one of our Authentic Traditional Rotisserie Cyprus Barbecue Sets.
You can also cook lamb, chicken wings or a whole chicken souvla but we will show you how to do these in another one of our delicious Cyprus recipes.
Preparation time 20-30 minutes (plus a 3-4 hours to marinade)
- Large pieces of good quality pork shoulder on the bone ( these should be about the size of your fist, ask your butcher if you are unsure how to cut it)
- Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil - enough to lightly coat all of the meat.
- Greek Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the meat into a mixing bowl and cover with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a sprinkling of Oregano.
- Cover and leave to marinade for 3-4 hours
- The meat is now ready to go onto the Skewer- take great care when doing this as it can take some force to pierce through the meat and bone.
- Apply Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the skewers about 12 inches above white-hot coals and leave to rotate on the rotisserie until cooked to your desired taste (1-2 hours) whilst you socialise with your family and friends
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon for that authentic Cyprus Flavour. Ideal with Pita bread and our delicious Greek Salad and Houmous
- When adding the meat to the skewer it may be safer to start by placing the meat onto a clean surface and then push the tip of the skewer through the meat and bone. Once you have done this the meat can then be safely moved along the souvla skewer.
- When cooking the souvla on our Authentic Traditional Rotisserie Cyprus Barbecue Sets. your can raise or lower the skewers to control the cooking time
- Make sure you start with enough charcoal to last for the whole cooking time
Rump Steak with Chi...
Rump Steak with Chimichurri cooked on a Cyprus Rotisserie Charcoal BBQ Following on from the success of last weeks mouth-watering Souvla recipe f...Read More
Slow Roasted Pork B...
Slow Roasted Pork Belly Souvla and Crispy Chicken Thighs with Asian Slaw. Cyprus BBQ is excited to announce the first in a series of collaborat...Read More
5 places to find am...
If there's one thing we know a thing or two about, it's BBQs. Not much compares to gathering round with family and friends on a hot summer day (ye...Read More